Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

I was excited to read the next installment of the Twilight series. I was lucky and was able to get Eclipse rather quickly from the library. But I had wanted to pace myself. I had a bunch of other books waiting on the sidelines. I did not want to bypass them in order to satisfy my selfish need to find out what happens in this series. I did not want to seem too obsessive. Plus time was running out with me having to return the books to the library. So there was space between my reading Book 2, New Moon, and Book 3, Eclipse. I explain all this because I did not enjoy reading Eclipse. At least not in the beginning. I guess I was in a good mind frame - a teenage mind set - when I started reading Twilight. I read New Moon right afterward, so I was still "in the zone." I don't know if it was because I read Rebecca right before Eclipse. Rebecca is a literary classic. So honestly, I found myself a bit annoyed with the writing. I really had little patience for it. It affected how I thought of the book and it is my least favorite. I find this odd because I've read lots of comments about how people love Eclipse . I think it is directly connected to the fact that I read a very good piece of literature directly before reading Stephenie Meyers again. I guess that was a big mistake. I still like her story a lot. I think she is a great storyteller but I wish she were a better writer. I can totally see how the teens love the Twilight series. It took a hundred or so pages before I got into reading the book again without being annoyed. Then I was immersed in the Bella/Edward saga again.

In Eclipse, the Cullen family is back in Forks, and Bella and Edward are together again. All would be fine in the world, except now Bella's best friend in the world, Jacob, will not or cannot be anywhere near her when Edward is around. Vampires and werewolves do not get along. Oh, and the fact that there is a vampire, Victoria, who is after Bella. And the Volturi may come around anytime to check on whether Bella has become a vampire as promised. It's just another day in the life of Bella and Edward.

With Bella's life still in danger from Victoria, Edward and Jacob form an alliance. They put aside their dislike for each other in order to protect the girl they both love. Edward will do anything, anything at all, to keep Bella from being hurt or sad again after he had hurt her so much. Even if it means letting her be friends with Jacob. The vampires and the werewolves take turns monitoring Forks and protecting Bella.

Bella continues to push to become a vampire. Edward agrees to be the one who will make Bella a vampire, on one condition - that Bella agrees to marry him. Bella wants it done as soon as possible because she does not want to get any older.

There appears to be a band of newborn vampires on the loose in Seattle. And they seem to be making their way to Forks. The vampires and the werewolves further their alliance and band together to destroy the newborns. They plan a trap with Bella as bait. When Jacob threatens to sacrifice himself during the battle when he finds out about Bella's and Edward's engagement, Bella kisses him to give him false hope. Only it isn't. In that kiss, Bella realizes that she loves Jacob, too.

Everyone gets ready for the attack while Edward and Seth, a young werewolf, protect Bella at a separate location. Since the werewolves are in tune with each other and of course, Edward can read minds, they are all in full contact with each other and are aware of what is going on. Edward soon comes to the realization that it is a trap. While everyone else is preoccupied with the newborns, Victoria is coming in for an attack. Edward is forced to fight anyway, despite Bella's machinations to keep him safe with her. Edward and Seth together destroy Victoria.

After the battle, Bella explains to Jacob that despite loving both Edward and Jacob, her love for Edward is much greater. As the wedding plans proceed, Jacob runs away in pain. He lives as a wolf to escape the pain.

No comments: