Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

I vaguely remember seeing the movie, Practical Magic, with Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock, ages ago. So while reading the book, I kept trying to reconcile my memories with what I was reading right before me. It wasn't working too well. I didn't remember a whole lot. I think I just kept confusing myself. However, that didn't stop me from continuing to picture Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock as Gillian and Sally Owens.

Two young girls are orphaned and come to be raised by their elderly witch aunts. Gillian, the wild and vivacious one, embraces her differences. Whereas Sally just wants to be normal. Gillian who falls in love at the blink of an eye, runs away to elope and escape. Sally who has always shied away from love, believing that her family is cursed when it comes to love, stays behind, falls in love, marries and has two little girls.

Then tragedy strikes and Sally's husband dies. Devastated, Sally leaves with her two girls to start a new, normal life, to be as far away as possible from her aunts. She continues to correspond with Gillian who has a wanderlust life with numerous husbands.

One day, Gillian shows up at her doorstep with a dead body, her current beau. She really did nothing do with his death but they did not want to be linked with the dead body. The two sisters bury the man in Sally's backyard. Mysterious things begin to happen. And a detective, Gary, shows up, investigating the disappearance of a man he was tracking.

The aunts come to help Sally and Gillian with the spirit that is now haunting. Sally and Gillian convince Gary that they had nothing to do with the disappearance of the missing man. Sally and Gillian are in the clear for the missing man.

This is what I get for not keeping up with posting. I cannot remember the ending. Funny thing though, just the other night, Practical Magic just happened to be on cable....

No comments: