Thursday, January 21, 2010

Jumper Cable by Piers Anthony

Jumper Cable (Magic of Xanth Series #33), Vol. 33 by Piers Anthony: Book Cover

About This Book

In the thirty-third thrilling escapade in Piers Anthony’s rousing Xanth fantasy series, an adventurous arachnid named Jumper must assume human form to save the enchanted realm from a cosmic peril.

A cataclysmic battle between two all-powerful Demons has severed a mystical connection that joins Xanth to our own world. The key to restoring it is hidden within a cryptic prophecy that Jumper discovers when he is suddenly transformed from spider to man. As he sets out to discern the prophecy's meaning, he gathers about him a half dozen alluring damsels who do their best to help him solve the riddle while vying for his attentions.

But a seductive siren and her demonic consort have determined to use their wiles to lure Jumper and his lovely companions away from their urgent mission. In a madcap adventure that is alternately harrowing and hilarious, they soon discover that danger, deception, and even true love may be found where they least expect it.

In Jumper Cable, master storyteller Piers Anthony spins a wild and witty web of wonder that is sure to captivate fans of fantastic adventure everywhere!

Let me preface this by saying I adore Piers Anthony. I love his fantasy books. They are the only ones I read in the fantasy genre. I adore Xanth. And I adore the puns. However, I do not adore Jumper Cable.

Piers Anthony began the Xanth series with the intention of it being a trilogy. Due to its popularity, Piers Anthony developed Xanth into a longer series. First a trilogy times three, then squared which would have brought the series to a whopping 27 books. Honestly, I think Piers Anthony should have stopped writing the Xanth series a while ago.

This book is a bit indulgent and is just all about S-E-X. Everyone just wants to sleep with someone or is trying to. It was getting a bit tiresome. And it just didn't seem to go with the whole Xanth vibe. It used to be a bit more wholesome and just hinted at naughty things. Now naughty things are said and done outright.

Definitely not one of my favorite Xanth books. Will I read his next one? Probably, but I won't rush excitedly to pick it up like I've done in the past.

No comments: