Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

This is my first exposure to author, Stephenie Meyer. I only knew vaguely that she also wrote the popular Twilight series. Hmmm... come to think of it, I wasn't really aware that it was a series. Unfortunately as I began to read The Host, an article came out with an interview with Stephen King. In the article, Stephen King gave a very negative opinion of Stephenie Meyer as a writer. Interview with Stephen King Not good for me as I'm easily influenced. However, I must say that I had already begun reading The Host and had already found it difficult to follow. The writing was awkward. I thought this on my own. The article with Stephen King just cemented my opinion. It took me a very long time to get into this book. I was already 100+ pages (of a 600 page book) before I was interested in reading. It wasn't a very original idea. I just kept thinking about Invasion of Body Snatchers. Eventually I did get into the book but I did find myself skimming the pages a lot.

I had trouble with the ending. I understand that we didn't want to Wanderer to die. Of course not. I generally am not fond of having the main character die for whatever reason. Not after you've gotten to know them. But to take over another body just didn't seem right to me. It was just extending a wrong. The humans hated the souls because the souls took over their planet but yet, in this instance it was okay because they wanted it this time? Doesn't work with me. I was very uncomfortable with the idea.

As good as these souls were supposed to be, I would hope that they would eventually see that it was wrong to take over the human race or any race for that matter. But it was very different when they took over in the other planets. The Flowers, Spiders, etc didn't have a problem with begin taken over. Humans did. Okay, I didn't really know that but those "species" were vegetation or animals. Not people with intelligence and free will.

Could souls and humans co-exist? Yes. But at what cost? Someone would have to give up their body.

Jeb's and Jamie's intial reactions were believable. Jeb's kindness goes in line with his taking in all these strangers into his "home." I felt Jamie's quick love was just his love for his sister. I also felt that because Jamie was so young, he was more resilient and acceptable than the adults; therefore more able to accept Wanderer. I had a tough time with Jared's reactions. No matter if a soul had taken over Melanie's body, I just don't understand how he could have attacked her. It was still Melanie's body no matter what. He could have hated her, but to strike her just seemed wrong. How could you hit the woman you love even if it wasn't her inside anymore??

Despite being The Host touted as Stephenie Meyer's first adult book, I still felt like it was a YA book. It was the style of writing, her style of writing that made me think that. I think that Stephenie Meyer should stick to her YA genre where she really captures her audience.

No comments: