Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares

I only knew about this book because the movie came out last summer. As I was looking for a YA book to meet my book challenge,I thought this would be a neat book to read. I haven't seen the movie but I have seen commercials so I had a rough idea of the actresses that had been cast. So while reading the book, I did have mental images of the characters. I don't know if that helped with the story or not.

This book follows four girls and their friendship one summer when they are apart. They are tied together by a magical pair of pants that travels between them. These pants are magical because somehow even though the girls are all different shapes and sizes, the pants fit them all beautifully.

Carmen, who originally found the pants, is going to visit her father where he lives for the first time. Carmen is all ready for some father daughter bonding when she learns that her father is getting married to a ready made family. Where does she fit into all this?

Lena and her family are visiting her grandparents in Greece. Through a big misunderstanding with a boy, Lena causes her grandparents to fight with good friends. Lena doesn't have the courage to right a wrong.

Bridget is off to soccer camp where she is learning about life, love and when to hold back.

Tibby is stuck at home for the summer. She's making a documentary while working at a local store. She meets a little girl who teaches her there are worse things in life.

The pants travel to each of the girls and gives them the courage to do what's right.

No comments: