Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

About this book - From Amazon.com

Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels--first love, love between parents and children -- that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them.


I liked reading The Last Song well enough. It was a nice start to the new year. It was a very typical Nicholas Sparks book which is why I wanted to read it. It is a feel good book with a twist and usually with a "happy" ending. I have happy in quotations because happy is in the eye of the beholder. Let's just say there is usually a definitive ending to Nicholas Sparks' books. You generally know what to expect and that is why you read his books, at least that's why I do.

Throughout the book, I had it in the back of my mind that The Last Song was a Miley Cyrus vehicle. Not being a fan of Miley Cyrus, I'm sure that colored my opinion of the book. Maybe I would have liked it more? I don't know.

I had trouble understanding Ronnie's anger at everyone. I do get the impression that that is how it can be in divorced families especially when one parent disappears. And as a teenager, it can be just triple fold.

I do look forward to watching the movie, The Last Song, as a part of my Page to Screen reading challenge. I cannot wait to compare the book to the movie.

No comments: