Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas: a fable by John Boyne

Wow. What a book. I picked up this book because it was a BBC book club selection. I had no idea what it was about. I was pleasantly surprised when I picked it up from the library that it was a Young Adult book. I thought 'okay, it will be an easy book to read.' I was wrong. Well, yes, it was a simple book to read wordwise, but the subject matter was not. I did what I usually do and read the book flap. But the book flap said nothing. Yes, nothing. What was written was that it was intentional not to give a summary of the book. That should have told me something. So I started reading the unknown.

It begins with a little boy named Bruno. While things were told from an 8 yr old's perspective, meaning a child's point of view, I was able to quickly deduce when the story took place and what it was about. I guessed that the 'Fury' he was referring to was the Fuhrer and where he lived 'Out With' was Auschwitz. The story was about Nazi Germany, Hitler and Auschwitz. Not exactly a pleasant storyline. I knew it was going somewhere, I just didn't know where.

I kept thinking that Bruno's father was a good man. That he had to be because Bruno was a good boy, at least I was under the impression he was. I don't know why I thought Bruno was a good boy, but he just had to be. Besides throughout the story, Bruno did appear to be a good boy. But if I really had to think about it, the Fuhrer would hardly promote someone to be the Commandant of Auschwitz unless he was very capable and aligned with his vision - Nazi Germany vision which I equate with not good. I kept on thinking that Bruno's father was just a good man who fell into the Nazi army. But Bruno's memories of conversations between his grandparents and his father give hints as to what a patriot Bruno's father is. Also things that were said to Lieutenent Kotler about his father leaving Germany also hinted to Brunos' father's loyalty to the German cause. And comments to Bruno about how wrongs are being righted with the Germans in reference to the concentration camps definitely did not make him sound like a good guy anymore.

To Bruno's father's credit, Bruno was not aware of what Auschwitz really was about. Perhaps he wanted Bruno oblivious and innocent or assumed Bruno knew that Jews were the "scum of the earth." Bruno was just a spoiled little boy who just wanted to be a little boy. And living right next to a concentration camp is not the life for a little boy. Therefore, when Bruno made friends with Schmael, the boy in the striped pajamas, Bruno didn't realize that he had done anything wrong. Bruno had the wits not to tell anyone in his family. Although in the end, that was not the wisest idea.

I just don't understand why punish the little boy who actually done the right thing. Why not punish the adults? My jaw dropped when I realized what had happened. It's not like the parents, or rather the father really knew what happened. I mean, I guess, he could have probably deduced what had happened, but he would never have concrete proof. It was all circumstantial. The clothes by the fence. The gap in the fence. I thought that when Bruno donned the striped pajamas, he would be trapped with the other Jews and not be allowed to go back home, that no one would listen to the fact that he was indeed German. I never, never thought that he would inadvertantly be trapped in a group headed for the gas chamber....

I just realized that you have to know some background before reading this book to make an impact. I think it would be a really great book when learning about the Holocaust and Nazi Germany. I will definitely keep this book in mind for T when the time comes.

No comments: