Wednesday, January 21, 2009

STori Telling by Tori Spelling

Here are some thoughts that I had shared with my IRL book club. Please excuse the choppiness of the incoherent thoughts. lol Then I added some more to flesh it out.

I agree, I did get the feeling that I was reading fiction rather than a real story. It didn't seem real. The outrageousness of what her life just doesn't seem possible. But what do I know? I'm just a girl from a lower middle class working family. Her life could be the lives of all those celebrity children and they do not think twice about it.

I never thought of her much and when I did, it was like she said, Tori Spelling, oh, Aaron Spelling's daughter. Truthfully, I didn't think much of her either. I didn't think she was that pretty. I know, very catty of me. And now that she says in her book that she was constantly trying to make comedic gestures to stand out in the crowd, I simply thought she wasn't that good an actress. That she got her roles (apparently like everyone else thought) b/c of her daddy. Tori says that she didn't get her roles b/c of her dad. That she got it on her own, based on her ability. Maybe. I'm not really buying it. Maybe I'm being a little hard. Maybe her dad's name got in her foot in the door and she is the one who kept it open. But the thing is, even according to her, she hasn't done so well. So maybe she isn't that good? She tells about these movie roles that keeps getting cut, pilots that keep being shot down. She's doing a show now that's not really a show. It doesn't require acting ability. People just want to look into her life. That's not acting. I actually think it's kind of sad that someone would allow cameras to monitor their life. I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm a nosy one, too. I totally want to peek into their lives. Yes, I'm a total perv. lol But are they so desperate for attention. That's my take on it.

I didn't realize she did that many TV movies.
I think I've seen a few movies that starred her. Well, I didn't actually watch them. You have to love the info button on the remote control. lol Come to think of it, I thought Shannon Doherty and Jennie Garth were the queens of TV movies. Why not Tori Spelling, too?

Her relationship with her mom was just weird. There had to be something more. Since it was Tori Spelling writing her own memoirs, I doubt that she would portray herself in a terrible light. While I will believe that she is a nice person, I think it highly unlikely it was a totally hangup on her mom's part. There had to be something else going on. Like Michele had said, that I'm sure her dad had something to do with the poor relationship between mother and daughter. Saying that they were Hansel and Gretel while the mom was the witch. A little weird, don't you think? And it makes sense that there would be a jealously issue btwn her and her mom. I'm sure that her mom had a bloated sense of self, too. So when Tori came into herself, became her own person, there was someone to compete with.

I think it was Michele who said that her mom didn't train her for real life. But she didn't really have a "real" life by any standards, normal standards anyhow.
Having designer Halloween costumes is not real life. Having a 10,000 sq ft house is not just a large house. Based on what BBC moms have said, 3000 sq ft is a big house. Then D tells me that my cousin's ginormous mansion like house is 5000 sq ft. You can bowl in her bedroom! A 10,000 sq ft house must be super gigantic! That is not real life or realistic. Okay, it's real life to her, but seriously, not realistic. I have to laugh at her reminder that the house Aaron Spelling is known for (I can't believe it has 100 rooms and is an acre big!) is not the house she grew up in. That it was simply a large house, but not as large as the Manor. Even having a 10,000 sq ft home is not real life. Getting a BMW for your 16th birthday is not real life. Having a beyond luxury condo when you're 22 and simply paying $1000 is not real life. Oh, I could go on.

As far as that inheritance, I can see how being left $800,000 out of so many millions can seem not right. Especially in light of how her father could buy a million dollar piece of jewelry at the drop of a hat. I mean, I do not expect my parents to leave me anything. I wouldn't expect it, but it just seems different in her case. I guess simply because they had so much money. That said, I totally agree with Rebecca in what she (Tori) thought about being a SAHM and wife. Maybe if Tori Spelling wasn't hundreds of thousands in debt, the inheritance or therelackof wouldn't matter. I guess the $800,000 seemed like a slap in the face. Kind of like 'leaving a nickel for the waiter for poor service' philosophy. But I wouldn't mind that kind of slap in the face. lol $800,000, that's a pretty penny. I could do a lot of damage with that kind of money. :P But when one continuously builds up debt without forethought, I guess $800,000 is piddly. I think she says that it would have been nice if her dad gave her enough money to cover her debts. What good would that have done? She would have just gotten into debt again. More on that in the next set of thoughts....

I had to chuckle about her being satisfied with spending $25 at Forever 21. I've caught a couple of episodes of Tori & Dean Inn Love last year when I still had time to watch television. ;) I am reminded of the planning for her son's first birthday. Ummm.... that is not how someone thinks or throws a party when they have "no money." Not by a long shot. She is so not a normal person no matter how she thinks she is now. One does not have to have a customized cake. One does not have to have monkeys even if the theme is monkeys. One does not have to have the party at someone else's house when one's own backyard will suffice. One does not have to invite everyone under the sun. One does not have to have a circus at a one year old's birthday party. And that's all I caught. I think I must have missed a lot more since Michele says the party must have cost $10k. I guess I think her a little frivilous and self-entitled. Okay, I'm being a little hard. But it wouldn't have mattered how much money her father left her, even if just to cover her debts, she would have continued to have debts and still not be able to be a stay home mom and wife that she seems to think she could be.

So instead, she decides to air out all her secrets by writing a tell all book and having a reality show. Well, obviously, she doesn't consider them secrets since she's telling everyone. I remember catching another episode where she goes to off to do a talk show shortly after the baby is born. How is that putting the baby first? It wasn't like she was doing it for the money. It was to promote her career. To me, despite what she says, it doesn't seem like she wants to simply be a stay at home mom and wife.

Wow. So, okay, I had a lot to say.... lol

No comments: